* * * Job Opportunity * * *
The Veterinary Technician will be responsible for the physical and emotional well-being of the animals at Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary. He/She will be working directly with the Executive Director and Sanctuary Manager to make sure disease and injury are prevented at the sanctuary, wherever possible.
The duties include:
- Medical procedures including (but not limited to) anesthetizing monkeys, blood draws, suturing, surgery prep and bandaging
- Prepare and administer medications daily
- Record-keeping and data entry
- Design habitats with natural enrichments
- Building habitats for a specific animal species
- Prepare specially formulated diets
- Inventory medications for the clinic
- Lead interns and volunteers
- Organize and observe primate socializations
- Work closely with our local Veterinarian
The work is labor intensive and the hours can be long. Animals are unpredictable and can get injured any day or time of the week. You will be working indoors and outdoors. The climate is very hot and humid in the summer and can get very cold in the winter. The work can be demanding, but the rewards are great!
Qualifications: You must have experience for this position. We are looking for very special people; we need happy and healthy people to work with the monkeys. You must be friendly and have excellent communication skills, work well with others and have the ability to lead others as well as follow. You must be even-tempered and down to earth. Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary has a no-complaint policy; any issues are taken up with the Executive Director. We prefer some primate experience, but it is not necessary. Due to insurance and health considerations, we do not accept applicants who smoke. We also ask that you are (or are willing to become) a vegetarian while you are on property. We promote veganism. You cannot store, cook or consume animals at Jungle Friends.
If you have never interned/volunteered at Jungle Friends, we require a 4-month probation period to properly train you for the position.
On-site Accommodations: If you would like to live on-site and there is space available, we will talk to you about the cost of room and board.
Application: Click here for Jungle Friends' Intern Packet (in .pdf format). Please be sure to indicate on your application that you are applying for the permanent veterinary technician position and e-mail it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.